Effects on Relationships
A 2005 National Sleep Foundation survey found some amazing statistics showing that an undiagnosed sleep disorder can wreak havoc on relationships:
- 31% of couples are changing their sleep habits because of a mate’s sleep problems.
- 23% sleep in separate beds, bedrooms, or with someone on the couch.
- 8% alter their sleep schedules.
- 7% wear earplugs or a sleep mask to ensure that they get a good night’s sleep.
- 38% said that their partner’s sleep disorder has caused problems in their relationship.
- 27% reported that their intimate relationship has been affected by sleepiness.
Isn’t saying “I’ve got a headache” the same as saying “I am too tired tonight”? And let’s not forget the moodiness, hyper-emotionality, and anger that can be caused by sleep deprivation.